Thursday, October 15, 2015

When Clutter Control Needs More Than What a Housekeeper Can Give

Photo: dreamtouchrennovations.com

I think its safe to say that most of us would be happier with a bit less clutter. We look at magazines with photos of well-furnished, clutter-free living rooms, and gorgeous bedrooms with a fancy breakfast tray carefully balanced on the bottom corner of the bed, and then we look around our own home and see random items strewn about and wonder if those pictures are even possible in real life.

We would love to have more space for things that we love, need, and actually use. We would love to have less stress due to having less things to manage, keep track of or clean, and we would love to be able to find the belongings we are looking for much more quickly.

Whether we want to admit it or not, many of us have a hard time getting rid of things. Even though we know that deep down inside it is causing us additional time and stress. We justify this by telling ourselves that the item(s) is/are valuable in some way-either something we really will need in the future, or something sentimental that we cannot part with. In my own case, I have tons of paper-notes (written in longhand), notebooks, book drafts and various curricula from my last business venture-(designing children's recreational programming). Over the last few months, since my current business venture has picked up, I have been downsizing and getting rid of old materials and equipment I no longer use/need to make room for the equipment and projects I am currently taking on. 

It happens to me too: I have had a hard time parting with some of these items, (mostly the notebooks) because writing is my first passion, and I tell myself that this is great stuff for a book. The truth is that I have been so busy with other projects that I have not had time to get to it just yet. So I have had to decide which is the best of the best to keep stored until I am ready for it, and what to shred and use for our fireplace bricks.

I help clients to keep their own homes and offices organized-and in some cases I realize the clutter goes much deeper than what a few baskets and tubs can solve. Sometimes its more than just simple disorganization. Sometimes the problem is not about housekeeping at all, and has an emotional element, one that needs to be addressed in a different manner than how a housekeeper or professional organizer would.

Below I have attached several articles discussing these emotional aspects. Rather than me trying to paraphrase, I will just leave the links and allow you to read the articles in full. I find it interesting to study human nature and why we do the things we do as it helps me understand myself better, my clients needs better and helps me provide the best in every aspect of what I do.

Tell us in the comments below: what is your worst clutter problem and how do you go about solving it?